Reported speech [ direct and indirect speech ] by bo$ki

Reported speech 













Read the given sentences carefully :
1. Sarika said , '' I am weak in English ''. [ direct speech ]
2. Sarika said that she was weak in English . [ Indirect speech ]
There are two ways to convey a particular statement :

1. Direct speech :  Quoting  exactly the same words spoken by the speaker .
as in sentence 1 , given above .
In this type of speech  , the actual statement or words spoken by the narrator  is quoted within inverted commas .

2. Indirect speech : Conveying the same message without using the exact words spoken by the speaker . as in sentence 2 , given above .
In this type of speech , there is no requirement of inverted commas .
instead conjunction '' that '' is used after reporting verb .



Rules for changing Direct speech into Indirect speech 

A.  The tense may not change if the statement is a universal truth , habitual fact or a proverb .
for eg :  1. They said, '' Barking dogs seldom bite ''.[ direct]
              1. They said that barking dogs seldom bite .[ Indirect ]
2. He said, '' India got independence in 1947''. [ direct ]
2. He said that India got independence in 1947. [ Indirect ]

B. When the reporting verb  is in past tense , then all the present tenses of the direct are changed into the corresponding past tenses .
for eg :1.  He said , '' I am glad to be here ''. [ Direct ]
            1. He said that he was glad to be there . [ Indirect ]


C. The pronouns of the direct speech are changed , so that their relations with the reporter and hearer are indicated . for eg : 1. She said to him , '' I don't believe you '' [ direct ]
                             1. She said she didn't believe him . [ indirect ]
                                                                                                            


D. Words expressing nearness in time or place generally changed into words expressing distance. 
for eg : 1. He said ,'' I am glad to be here this evening ''. [ direct ]
                         1.  He said that he was glad to be there that evening . [ indirect ] 
* The changes do not occur if the speech is reported during the same period or at the same place .
  * this and these are changed to that and those 



. If the reporting verb [ says /said ] is in present tense , then the tense of the direct speech do not change . for eg :
1. He says , '' I am unwell '' . [ direct ]
1. He says that he is  unwell. [ Indirect ] 

2. She says , '' I am doing my work ''.[ direct ]
2. She says that she is doing her work .[ Indirect ]

  Changes need to be done in terms of Questions

* If the direct speech is in interrogative form , we change the reporting verb said to asked , inquired.
* If the question is not introduced by an interrogative word , the reporting verb is followed by
whether or if .
* Question mark is replaced with a full stop.
* General rules related pronouns ,tenses are applied .
for eg :
1. He said to me , '' What are you eating ? '' [ direct ]
1. He asked me What I was eating . [ indirect ]

2. The teacher said to me ,''Is Abhi absent today ?'' [ direct ]
2. The teacher asked me if Abhi was absent that day .[ indirect ]

 Changes need to be done in terms of Command / Request 

* reporting verb changes into ordered , commanded , urged , begged, requested .
* The sentences begin with ''let'' in direct speech ,' let 'is replaced by' suggested ' or' proposed '.
* In place of infinitives ' should + verb ' is used.
* The infinitive verb is used for direct command or request .
for eg :
1. He said to the peon , ''shut the door ''. [ direct ] 
1. He ordered the peon to shut the door . [ indirect ]

2. He said , '' Let us go out for a walk ''.[ direct ] 
2. He suggested that we should go out for a walk .[ indirect ]

Changes need to be done in terms of Exclamation / wishes 

* The reporting verb is changed into ' exclaimed', 'declared', ' wished', etc according to the tone of the speaker .
*The exclamation mark disappears in the reported speech.
* Exclamations with 'what', 'how' are changed into : He said it was ....
* Exclamations  like oh!, ah!, alas! etc are  changed into exclaimed with disgust / surprised/ sorrow etc.and exclamation ' hurray!' is changed into : He exclaimed with joy .

for eg :
1. He said , '' What a dreadful thing !''[ direct ]
1. He said with disgust that it was a dreadful thing .[ indirect]

2. She said , '' How intelligent I am !''[ direct]
2. She exclaimed that she was intelligent. [ indirect ]


_________________________________________________________________________________

EXERCISE 1

Change the following sentences into reported speech :


  1. I said , '' Sheetal is not well .''
  2. She said , '' He may go home soon .''
  3. I said , '' They are playing cricket .''
  4. Mark said , ''Mickey waited for her all day .''
  5. I said , ''They will turn left .''
  6. '' I do not like cold drinks ,'' I said .
  7. She said , '' I am feeling very sad .''
  8. She said , '' It was raining heavily.''
  9. I said, '' He runs fast .''
  10. I said , '' Rohan is crying .''
_________________________________________________________________________________

EXERCISE 2

Fill in the blanks with the correct tense of the verb in the reported sentence 

1 He says , '' Reena is a dull girl .
1.He says that Reena ____ a dull girl .
2. Varun said to me ,'' Barking dogs seldom bite .''
2. Varun told me that _____________________.
3. Teacher said to us , '' The Sun rises in the east .''
3. Teacher told us that the Sun _____ in the east .
4. She says ,'' Dad is watering the plants .''
4. She says that dad ____ watering the plants .
5. Rohit says , '' Richa is glad to be here .''
5. Rohit says that Richa ____ glad to be here.
6. She said , '' I am happy .''
6. She said that she ____ happy .
7. He said , '' They like to travel in a group .''
7. He said that they ______ to travel in a group.
8. The teacher said ,'' Mahatma Gandhi is known as father of nation .''
8. The teachers said that Mahatma Gandhi ___ known as father of nation .
9 . He said , '' Ram has not turned up yet .''
9. He said that Ram ____ not turned up yet .
10. She said ,'' Neha can swim very well .''
10. She said that she _____ swim very well.

_________________________________________________________________________________

EXERCISE 3

Rewrite the following sentences in indirect speech :
  1. He said to me ,'' You have cheated me .''
  2. Vidhi said , '' Raj likes hot coffee .''
  3. Sachin said, '' I have seen this movie before .''
  4. Mr. gupta said , '' I went home late yesterday .''
  5. Rajni said , '' Boys were making noise .''
  6. Mrs. Jain said , ''I have been practising Kathak for years .''
  7. Kiran said , '' I'll become a doctor one day .''
  8. You said to her , '' I am waiting for your result .''
  9. Ram said , '' I met him last year .''
  10. She said to him ,''I don't believe you .''
________________________________________________________________________________

EXERCISE 4

Change the following into indirect speech :

  1. He said to me , '' I have often told you not to play with fire .'
  2. ''Sit down boys '',said the teacher .
  3. He said to me , '' Wait untill I come .''
  4. ''How smart you are !'' she said .
  5. He said ,'' We are all sinners .''
  6. He said , '' I have passed the examination .''
  7. Rama said , '' I am very busy now .''
  8. Arjun said to Ram ,'' Go away ''.
  9. He said , '' Let us wait for the result .''
  10. He said , '' The Earth moves round the Sun .''
_________________________________________________________________________________








Comments

  1. This is Very very nice article. Everyone should read. Thanks for sharing. Don't miss WORLD'S BEST CarGame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! This is one of the most informative, helpful article I've seen . It came right at the perfect time. Lots of great content and insights, for free. I really appreciate. . I'd like to thank you for explaining the concept of English Grammar more clearly and comprehensively .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent write up . I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic of Learn English Grammar you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir/Ma'am

    I beg you to kindly help me change the direct to indirect speech with the below sentences:-

    1) Once Lincoln said, "If elected I shall be thankful, if not it will be all the same."

    2) Gautama said to his disciples, "If others speak against me, or against my religion, or against the order, there is no reason why you should be angry."

    3) Mahatma Gandhi said, "Our quarrel is not with the British people ; we fight with their imperialism."

    Thanks in advance!!

    Learner

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIGURE OF SPEECH

The diary of a young girl [important question answers]